Wills, Probate & Power of Attorney

Friendly, transparent advice & a sympathetic approach

Whether you need to make a Will, have to deal with a deceased family members estate, or need to help an elderly family member manage their affairs; Maclaren Warner Solicitors are here to help you. We offer friendly, plain English advice and a sympathetic approach.

We offer wills/probate services together with Lasting Powers of Attorney at all three offices. We deal with many aspects of Wills, Probate and Trusts, including:

Understanding Wills

We are specialist in writing Wills and advising clients on how best to plan their estates, from the smallest to the largest and most complex. Below are answers to some commonly asked questions about Wills. If you have other questions, or would like a consultation, please contact us.

Benefits of having a will

If you have not made a Will then your assets will not always go to who you would choose, and in some cases may even go to the state. This is particularly important if you have a partner that you are not married to, or if you are remarried and have children from a previous relationship.

Life Interest Wills & Trusts

An increasingly common area of trusts in Wills is where someone has remarried but has children from a first marriage. A life interest trust can offer a solution to the problem of protecting the children’s inheritance whilst still providing for the current spouse.

Lasting Powers of Attorney

Maclaren Warner are experts in helping people to plan for their future. Contact us for a consultation and we will advise you on the best way of planning your future finances and care.


When someone we love dies, we face one of the most difficult times of our lives. Knowing how to deal with the estate, whether Grant of Probate is required and if so how to deal with it can be a lot to cope with.

Inheritance tax planning

Planning for inheritance tax in England and Wales entails evaluating and structuring your estate to minimise the amount of Inheritance Tax (IHT) that will be due upon your passing.

The Court of Protection

If a family member becomes mentally incapable of managing their own affairs, whether it be through an old age related disease such as Dementia or Alzheimer’s, or because of an accident, it is often necessary for someone to apply to the Public Guardianship Office to be appointed as their deputy.

Care home fees advice

Many people are concerned about the possibility of their home having to be sold to pay for residential care home fees and want to know if this can be avoided.

The Laws of Intestacy

When a person dies without leaving a will, or if they leave a will which is later found to be invalid, they are said to have died intestate. This means that their estate (property and other assets) must be shared out according to the rules of intestacy.

Divorce & your will

If you are in the process of getting divorced, or you are already divorced, it is critical to consider your Will arrangements. If you have no Will you should make one and if you have an existing Will from the period of your marriage then you should make changes to it.

Wills, Probate & Inheritance Act disputes

It is up to you and your solicitors to show the Court that the provision you have been left (if any) is not sufficient to meet your needs. The basis for making a claim is simply that reasonable financial provision has not been made by the deceased for the claimant.