Landlord & tenant disputes

How to handle landlord & tenant disputes

Whether you are a Landlord or a Tenant, if you are in a dispute about your property we can help. Our specialist Solicitors have the experience and expertise to help you to resolve your dispute.


What are landlord & tenant disputes?

Whether you are a Landlord or a Tenant, if you are in a dispute about your property we can help. Our specialist Solicitors have the experience and expertise to help you to resolve your dispute. We will give you practical legal advice on how to proceed, and we can represent you in Court proceedings should they become necessary.

Below are listed some of the areas where we can help:

Advice for Landlords:

  • Possession claims / Eviction
  • Defending a claim for disrepair
  • Tenancy agreements
  • Collection of rent arrears

Advice for Tenants:

We can assist you if your rent from a local authority, a housing association or a private landlord.

  • Claims for disrepair to the property
  • Defending possession claims
  • Harassment by landlords
  • Unlawful evictions

 Below are answers to some of the questions we are most frequently asked about property disputes.

My landlord wants to evict me, what should I do?

Laws are set out to govern how evictions should take place. Landlords must follow a strict set of procedures for an eviction to be lawful. They cannot simply evict you without following these procedures. This applies to all types of landlords including Councils.

The first step you should take is to contact us and speak to one of our solicitors at the earliest opportunity.

Your landlord must seek a Court Order for possession and then an eviction warrant if they are to legally evict you. We can help you during this process including representing you in Court if required.

If you have already been evicted and you think that you were evicted unlawfully, we can advise you on whether you can make a claim for compensation or whether you can legally regain your tenancy

My landlord will not make repairs to the property? What are my rights?

All landlords have an obligation to maintain their properties in an adequate state of repair. This includes the following duties:

Maintaining heating and hot water systems in good repair

Maintaining essential services in working order:

  • Electricity
  • Gas
  • Water
  • Sanitation

Maintaining the building?s structure, including:

  • The roof
  • Windows and doors
  • Exterior walls
  • Guttering
  • Drains and external pipes

If these repairs are not carried out, contact us to speak to one of our solicitors who can assist you in compelling your landlord to make the repairs. We will advise you on what action should be taken, this may include writing to your landlord or pursuing them through the Courts if necessary.

I have a tenant, what are their obligations to my property?

In the same way that landlords have obligations to maintain properties, tenants also have certain obligations they must meet when living in a rented property. These include:

  • Paying the rent on time and according to the tenancy agreement
  • Carrying out minor maintenance
  • Keeping the property reasonably clean
  • Paying the utility bills (where agreed)
  • Not damaging the property
  • Not damaging supplied furnishings
  • Paying council tax (where agreed)
  • Using the heating system properly

If you have any dispute with your landlord or tenant, please contact us for advice.



Are we the perfect fit to help you?

Clients choose Maclaren Warner for our unwavering commitment to excellence, personalised service, and proven track record of achieving favourable outcomes. With a dedicated team of experienced solicitors, we offer tailored legal solutions, compassionate guidance, and unwavering support, ensuring our clients receive the highest level of care and expertise throughout their legal journey.

How to contact us

Our specialists are ready and on hand to support you through the process. Talk to us today to find out more.

68 Nottingham Road,
Eastwood, Nottingham,
NG16 3NQ
First Floor Finance Block
Wharncliffe Road
Ilkeston, Derbyshire

Share this service